Dr Anna Hall completed her schooling at Springfield Convent in Cape Town, then qualified as a professional Social Worker at UCT. After three years working in Psychiatric social work, crisis intervention and inspecting of state and state-assisted institutions, she returned to UCT to qualify in medicine, where she obtained her degree with first class honours, and was awarded several gold medals including the University medal for the most distinguished student.
Her houseman year was followed by time in surgical research at UCT, until she left to raise her two daughters. She returned to take up general practice and theatre assisting, and soon became a fulltime theatre assistant in all fields of surgery. In 1996 she switched to cardiothoracic assisting, and became the exclusive first assistant to a senior cardiac surgeon, until he retired in 2009.
Patient education has always been Dr. Hall’s passion, and this website and newsletter are the first steps towards a fulltime involvement in this field.
Dr. Hall is now in private practice in Monte Vista, where she focuses on:
• managing lifestyle-related conditions e.g. diabetes, high cholesterol, weight management, hypertension
• preventive measure for at-risk patients
• patient education on relevant topics
Dr Hall remains committed to providing the most up-to-date service to her patients. To this end, she regularly participates in continuing medical development programs throughout the year. In addition, she has recently attended a four day GP refresher course in Cape Town, as well as an intensive 3-day course in Durban on Advanced Management of Diabetes, where she underwent training to become a Diabetes Educator.
Dr Anna Hall’s CV Profile
- Private practice focused on management of lifestyle-related chronic disorders, strong emphasis on patient education
- Qualified Diabetes Educator
- Fulltime theatre assistant to senior Cardiothoracic surgeon with the largest practice in the Northern Suburbs.
- Patient education for groups at Panorama Mediclinic.
- Public lectures, seminars, corporate wellness workshops
Summary of Professional Experience
- Private practice – general practice, main focus lifestyle disorders and patient education
- Patient education at Panorama and Louis Leipold Hospital
- Fulltime cardiothoracic theatre assistant – the only assistant for all cases; established and maintained database of operation records
- General practitioner: long-term locums
- Theatre assisting – general surgery, obstetrics, gynaecology, neurosurgery, orthopaedics, vascular surgery
- Internet medical advisor – HeartDoc on Health24 from February 2005 – 2008
- Freelance medical writer – original articles, upgrading of various websites for Health24, establishing and upgrading databases for Medscheme and Discovery Health, article in Pulse magazine, advisor for medical newspaper.
- Contributor (51 healthcare articles) currently on Mediclinic website
- Patient education – lectures at Panorama Mediclinic 2008 to date
- Public lectures to special interest groups – 2009 to date
- Medical accounts maintenance
- Social Worker
- Own website
- On-line presence for education and patient inquiries
- Support group and lifestyle advisor focus on lifestyle-related medical conditions
- Excellent academic record – degree awarded with honours, gold medalist, undergraduate and post-graduate awards and scholarships
- Logical mind
- Interact well with people
- Committed to ongoing medical education